Selling Dead C***’s Stuff to Fund Our Artistic Dreams!
a senior thesis project for Vanessa Copeland and Jacob Yoder-Schrock
Selling Dead C***’s Stuff to Fund Our Artistic Dreams! is a devising project exploring our relationship with objects (things, stuff, junk!), particularly as they connect to the past and our relationships with loved ones. Maybe you have a family heirloom passed through generations, or can think of a room in your house that looks like it was ripped straight out of Hoarders. Maybe you’re even a die-hard minimalist who owns three of the same shirt. These dynamics and more guide our investigation into everything from materialism to art-making to personal memory.
The development process will take place from October 2021 to February 2022, mostly consisting of ensemble building, content creation, and audience-focused exercises and workshops with our team.
If you’re interested in getting involved, join us for a devising and audition workshop on Sat., September 25 from 2-4pm!
This process is also a senior thesis project for Vanessa Copeland and Jacob Yoder-Schrock, and is centered around a few theatrical research goals. We can tell you more later if we pique your interest, but some questions we plan on exploring are:
- How do objects in the present invoke the past, and how do we see the change they’ve wrought?
- How can we link objects to stories, real and fictive, of the ensemble, and audience members?
- How can we explore these disparate relationships (past and present, us and objects, performers and audience) in a theatrical and collaborative context?
- How can transformation of different kinds happen in theatrical spaces, and how we can make room for transformation within the devising and creation process?
- How can we blur the world of audience, performers, and characters, so we can all undergo one kind of “magical” transformation together?
(Poster image, edited: Vik Muniz’s Mounds (4 works), 2005, laminated inkjet print on placemats, from artnet.com)
For all inquiries, please contact:
Media and Downloads
Audition information (.pdf - 211.38KB)
Performance Dates & Times
February 10, 2022 - 8:00pm
February 11, 2022 - 8:00pm
February 12, 2022 - 2:00pm
February 12, 2022 - 8:00pm
Theater and Performance Studies black box, 53 Wall Street
Building is accessible via a ramp on the Church Street side. Venue and facilities are located on the main floor.
Tickets not yet available, check back soon!